Monday, May 01, 2006

riding the bus with myself


There you are! And here I am, still in Canada. So today was my first day on my own in the big city of Toronto. Also known as the day Mike over dosed on public transportation. I started by taking a taxi from the hotel to the train station. Our hotel is in a suburb of Toronto called Brampton. Greg's got the car at work, so i'm walking and enjoying the wonders of public mass transit. The train into downtown Toronto was quite nice. It was a double decker train. It took about 30 minutes from start to end. I then purchased my subway tokens and headed off to the eastern side of the city. Ok, so after this trip, I know that I could never go on the Amazing Race. Every time I emerge from underground, I loose my sense of direction. My plan was to head towards the Allan Garden Conservatory. Well I headed the wrong way...but no big deal, this way I headed straight towards a Starbucks and was able to score my favorite spring/summer beverage, the Passion Tea Lemonade. Yumtastic. By this point I was headed to the two City Hall's of Toronto. Yes, I said two...there's the Old City Hall, pictured here in my blog, right across the street from the new City Hall. The new City Hall looks like a UFO landing pad. After the city halls I headed up Yonge Street. There I passed the Church of Scientology...no Tom Cruise, guess he's got his hands full with that new baby. Later, I jumped back on the subway, then on the train back to Brampton. When I arrived in Brampton I caught a bus, that drove right past our hotel without stopping. Several miles later, I got off that bus, crossed the street and boarded another bus back to the hotel. So now, I would consider myself a seasoned public transportation fella.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we would make FABULOUS Amazing Race partners.

2:43 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Welcome to Canada, Michael.

I live in Toronto (across the street from Allan Gardens, actually) and am from Brampton originally so I felt I was riding the bus...and subway...and GO train right along with you.

I hope you get to spend more time in Toronto and less in Brampton! What the heck are you doing way out there?! Brampton is on the wrong side of the airport. :)

Enjoy your trip,
Philip.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home