Sunday, April 23, 2006

allium


Last fall I planted some flowering onion (allium) bulbs in the front bed of our house. I planted two types. One white, the other purple. They began to pop up from the earth about a month ago. At that time I counted about ten sprouts. They have matured quite nicely and now stand about 12-14 inches tall. The flower bud is developing too. Being the forgetful guy that I am, I thought that was all there was to be. Then about a week ago, eight more different looking sprouts began growing in the same area. So, I guess the two colors have slightly different growing times. So hopefully as one is dying down the other will be in full bloom. If I'm really lucky, perhaps there will be some time when both are blooming together. I guess that's one of the thrills of gardening. Forgetting what you did several seasons ago, and then being surprised by the results. The picture to the right is of a purple allium. Hopefully, mine will be just as beautiful. I'll be sure to post photos of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home